Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Technical Difficulties

My computer is brain dead. The customer support has determined that my hard drive has "failed." Which means it's dead. Along with it goes the new website (some of it) that I had been building, my upcoming designs (all of it), my accounting books, my digital photographs, among other things. I'm pondering data recovery and how much that will cost.

I should have used the back up drive that I have more often (like nightly). Sigh.

At least all my letterpress pictures are up on flickr. And all of my potential clients' emails are on Gmail.

Potential clients waiting to see the new designs, please pardon the inconvenience while I curse Dell for selling faulty products. I will get designs to you as soon as I can. At least their warranty service is pretty good.

1 comment:

DellCAJohn said...

John here, customer advocate at Dell headquarters. I ran across your blog, and decided to drop a comment.

Several data recovery companies do offer discounts to Dell customers. You probably would have to send your drive to them, but we could certainly work out a delayed return on the drive if you need it. If you haven't already done it locally, feel free to drop me a line at:

customer_advocate@dell.com
"ATTN:John"

I am sure you already know this, but Dell's hard drives are of the same make and manufacture as those you can purchase separately at your local electronics store (Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, Hitachi, et al). Unfortunately, from time to time, a drive that passes QA specifications will prematurely fail. Until solid state drives become the norm, it is a definite problem in IT. From your blog post, it looks like you're aware of this, given your comments about backups.

If you need any help at all, feel free to use me as a resource. I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can.

John
Dell Customer Advocate

Related Posts with Thumbnails