Monday, May 19, 2008

Sensory Overload at the National Stationery Show

Ugh. It's past midnight in New York and I'm still totally overstimulated from today. I meant to take pictures to share, too, but I was just so distracted trying to get through as much of the show as possible before my brain fizzled out from all the different colors and paper greatness going on. Plus all these vendors were giving out candy, cookies, and cupcakes. And somewhere in the middle of everything Haagen Daaz was there giving out free ice cream. It was like, paper, paper, ice cream, paper. I was in a paper and candy land, and it totally screwed with my grip on reality. After the free ice cream, everything seemed very surreal. There is only so much I can take in before my mind goes to mush, so it's lucky that I've allotted more than one day at the National Stationery Show.

Today I was definitely feeling the California love here in NYC, if you can believe it. I met a bunch of letterpress printers from Pasadena and Los Angeles, and the ladies from Hello Lucky were as friendly as ever. As one of the suppliers I was talking to noted, "I've talked to more people from California today than any other place." Maybe Californians are just chattier.

I also saw Grace Bonney of Design Sponge taking pictures. What's funny is that I wouldn't have recognized her except that on Sunday my friend Brooke and I were on our way to the Brooklyn Museum and I saw a big blown-up picture of her on an advertisement for some residential building being built.

It's back to the National Stationery Show in the morning. I am going to try to stop by Kate's Paperie first, though. I passed by the Soho store on Saturday and I really want to go in. So here's hoping I can get past all the sugar and caffeine in my system to go to sleep and get to more scouting and scoping in the morning!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails