Monday, June 16, 2008

On the Subject of Product Photography

Yeah, okay, so I'll admit it. I've been battling with product photography for awhile. Mostly because I haven't a lot of time to fidget with photos and the lighting around here is pretty bad. Honestly, I just bought 3 (THREE!) more lamps for my office to try to light the place up better. So thus far, I've taken the cards out to my patio table and taken pictures in sunlight. If I get out there too late, the pictures turn out dark. If I get there in the middle of the day, the pictures are taken in bright, glary sunlight, which is the equivalent of an eternal flash on my pictures.

I've known for some time that I needed to upgrade my photos somehow. Now, my friend (and pretty darn good photographer) Jeff told me awhile ago that I needed a "soft box" to fix my lighting problems. Well, the thing is, really...I wasn't about to spend $100 on a soft box. I know at the end of the day it's just a drop in the bucket compared to other prices I've paid for things around the studio, but, well, I have my priorities and $100 is a really nice font or two.

I was about to hire a product photographer that my friend had told me about a year or two ago when that same friend told me he had moved away. Most of my photographer friends are decidedly NOT product photographers, and I didn't want to trust just anybody with Joie Studio's letterpress goods, so seeing as how I had the proper camera and lens already, I decided that I should just suck it up and get some proper lighting equipment to take nicer product photos.

After a round of searching on the web, I found some instructions on how to make your very own light tent. It didn't involve very much effort, honestly, or else I wouldn't have done it, and it used things I had around the house, with the exception of the black paper, which my friend (and also a fine art photographer) Michelle donated to the cause. Et voila! My very own card photo studio!

I took a couple of pics tonight to test it out. Here are some before and after pics. What do you think?

BEFORE:


AFTER:
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails